Saturday, September 6, 2008

Cleaning Out

My mom sent boxes of both my childhood and my college years with my in-laws last weekend. She didn't tell me she was going to, which didn't please me. Fortunately, I'm getting the want to clean out symptom. I'm predisposed anyhow, but I'm also now living in fear of the loads of stuff that new people (particularly small ones that seem to require lots of equipment) inevitably bring into any household. Plus I live with an unrepentant pack rat who I have been able to convince that at least the stuff you don't really use needs to be packed away, not taking up valuable real estate space, and I prefer to stay consistent when I can.

Anyhow, I'd guess I'm getting rid of at least three-fourths of what she sent. But then there are those things that are question marks:
  • Should I bother to send the perfect attendance dance trophy and Westminster Presbyterian Midget Girls II basketball participation trophy to Goodwill, or do I save them the trouble and immediately throw them away?
  • What do I do with nicely mounted awards from high school? Can I throw those away? What about the framed governor's school diplomas (summer programs)? What do I do with those?
  • Will I really ever look at that comparative economics systems/stats/money & banking textbook again (realizing that I gave about half of them away)?
  • My granny picked up painting pottery in her 70s (which is pretty cool). She got on this Santa Claus kick for about twelve years. Every family member (and, mind you, I'm one of ... a dozen grandchildren and half a dozen great grandchildren) has gobs of it. I picked out my four or five favorites (White and Gold Santa, Toy Holding/Flouncy Skirt Santa, Noah's Ark Santa, Kitten Santa, and Quilting Santa) to keep and bring out at Christmas time, which seems like more than enough Santa Claus for any reasonable person, with a bit of a buffer if two or three break. I packed up the rest to give away. If the church ladies can figure out how to get my name off the bottom of them, I'll bet they'll sell beautifully at the Christmas Bazaar. I don't feel that bad about giving them away, which kind of makes me wonder about myself. I know my grandmother would absolutely flip her lid if she knew. I plan on never telling her.
Hurricane Hanna was pretty much a big tease for us. It got really windy, but we hardly got any rain at all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

textbooks: pitch
pottery: give away
how much do I want a presbyterian midget girl trophy? a lot!

I'm unrepentant in keeping sentimental stuff, so I'm not much help there, but non-sentimental--I'm a big believer in the clean sweep.

Pastor Peters said...

throw out the textbooks. maybe even the pottery (i think that might be a hot item at a church bazaar).

but the framed awards? i have a different perspective on that. i would take them out of their frames and stick them in a file in the back on my filing cabinet. why? well, it's simple. that's where i keep my mother's certificates. i don't have her trophies (though i know there were some) but these bits of paper connect me to my mom. it might not be important to you and you might wonder why your child would ever want such a thing. but for me, it means the world to have those silly bits of paper. i know, it's dramatic but you're having a baby!

Anonymous said...

Presbyterian Midget Girls Basketball?!? Really?

(And I thought the merit badges from the Young Calvinist Cadet Corps were ridiculous.)

apbs said...

Yes, I was the point guard for the 2nd grade basketball team at Westminster Pres. I wore hot pink Converse high tops.