Thursday, February 14, 2008

book #9: reading challenge 2008


Zadie Smith's On Beauty addresses a lot of issues fairly well, particularly marriage, race, class, and ethnicity, though it does so a bit self-consciously. Overall, it's a pretty good read. I hope to pick up White Teeth, her first novel, at some point this year.

I've now read the same amount of books that most American women read in an entire year. I'm officially somewhat scared.

***
I couldn't give two shits about Valentine's Day, except for the fact that my mom makes these insanely good valentine's day cookies. They're your basic sugar cookies with frosting and sprinkles, but somehow, they're absolutely amazing. She's mailed them to me when I lived in Durham, Boston, Dallas, and New Haven. This year, I checked even the front porch when I came home. I gave literal and metaphorical meaning to the phrase "No cookies."

2 comments:

Pastor Peters said...

just as a warning, i liked on beauty 10 times more than white teeth.

i hope the cookies came.

apbs said...

uh oh. hmmm. maybe i'll just check it out from the library, then.