Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pregnancy Comments: Vote for Your Least Favorite!

So, which of these three is the most annoying?
  • "You haven't had the baby yet?!" and/or "You haven't popped yet?" Um, no, I haven't. That much is obvious. Plus, I just hit the two weeks before ETA yesterday. To have had it before then would have been a statistical anomaly (95% of women birth between 38 and 42 weeks). But when I do, I imagine that the verb "popping" will not come all that much into play.
  • "You're going to go late." Why would anyone say that? They don't know. Granted, I don't either. But to say it when there's no way of knowing is just mean.
  • "You're so big/fat/huge!" Well, one day I will have the baby and won't be fat anymore. But you'll still be rude and insensitive.
I'm also not a fan of "How are you feeling?" but think that the question is most of the time very well-intentioned, unlike some of the above statements.

Favorite comment, even if it's a lie: some variation of "You look great!" or "You're doing great!"

5 comments:

Maria said...

Ummm...hard choice, but I think number three gets my vote. Most pregnant women are very, very aware of their bodies changing, and a comment like that does not help self-esteem. At all.

And I don't know how you look right now, so I can't say with any honesty that you do look great, but... I am sure you do!

Susan O said...

I think it's totally bizarre how pregnant women's bodies are up for discussion.But I admit to be guilty of the "How are you feeling?" question.

PS: My confirmation word was fatrella

Pastor Katherine said...

I was huge and knew it, and didn't really care about the "you're so big" comments; in a roundabout way, they affirmed that I had a right to be so miserable. It was the "you're going to be late" comments that made me irate and anxious. Because I really didn't want to be late. And I really didn't want annoying people to be right.

Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

I don't mind the "how are you feeling?" type questions, but projecting out 10 weeks or so... I'm pretty sure "you haven't had the baby yet?!" is going to drive me IN. SANE. That definitely has my vote!

apbs said...

I think I don't like "How are you feeling?" when I can't answer it honestly b/c it's really an opener for unsolicited advice, which it normally, though not always, is.